Please note these are my ranking only of films I've seen. Any films you think should be on this list may be due to the fact I've yet to watch them. I welcome any recommendations of films which should be included.
1. Saving Private Ryan - No holds barred realism makes for one of the most authentic feeling war movies ever filmed. Powerful.
2. Elizabeth - Very entertaining and beautifully crafted story that holds more suspense and style than you'd think.
3. Central Station - A lovely Brazilian film. Profoundly moving and beautifully written.
4. The Red Violin - Gorgeous sets and costumes and a terrific episodic style. Complex and compelling.
5. The Horse Whisperer - Touching and inspirational.
6. Primary Colors - Great performances bolster this insightful and witty look into the Clinton rise to power.
7. The Negotiator - Riveting and intense, with two great lead actors cutting loose.
8. Out of Sight - Soderbergh's stylish direction and some watchable actors makes this Elmore Leonard tale shine.
9. The Mask of Zorro - One of the better pure entertainment films to come out of Hollywood in 1998. Exciting.
10. The Truman Show - Carrey's best film. Wonderful ideas and a snappy script add up to wry sci-fi.
Honorable Mention - Antz, A Bug's Life, City of Angels, A Civil Action, Ever After, Gladiator, He Got Game, Hope Floats, The Man in the Iron Mask, Next Stop Wonderland, Permanent Midnight, Playing by Heart, Pleasantville, The Prince of Egypt, Ronin, Rounders, Run Lola Run, Show Me Love, Sliding Doors, The Spanish Prisoner, There's Something About Mary, The Thin Red Line, Twilight, Who Am I?
Noteworthy films I haven't seen yet - After Life, Babe: Pig in the City, Black Cat White Cat, Buffalo '66, The Celebration, Celebrity, The City, The Dreamlife of Angels, Earth, Following, Gods and Monsters, The Idiots, I Stand Alone, Last Night, The Legend of 1900, Little Voice, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Lovers of the Arctic Circle, Mulan, My Name is Joe, One True Thing, The Personals, Ringu, Shakespeare in Love, Slam, Smoke Signals, A Soldier's Daughter Never Cries, Train Birds, Waking Ned Devine
Films I think are overrated: American History X, The Big Lebowski, Bulworth, Croupier, Dark City, The Dinner Game, Enemy of the State, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Happiness, Living Out Loud, The Opposite of Sex, Pi, Rushmore, A Simple Plan, Velvet Goldmine, Zero Effect