Please note these are my ranking only of films I've seen. Any films you think should be on this list may be due to the fact I've yet to watch them. I welcome any recommendations of films which should be included.
1. L.A. Confidential - Extremely intelligent and exciting noir film full of gutsy casting and brilliant acting. Near flawless.
2. Life is Beautiful - A comedy about the holocaust? Can't be done? This one not only does it but succeeds in being both laugh-out-loud funny and sadly tragic. Amazing.
3. Gattaca - Vastly underrated science fiction with a multi-textured theme on humanity and individuality. I'll wager that future generations will regard this the way BLADE RUNNER is regarded now.
4. As Good as It Gets - Terrific performances and very witty writing makes this one of the best comedies of the year.
5. Abre Los Ojos - Director Alejandro Amenabar shines as the writer/director in a tour-de-force gem. Greatly overlooked.
6. Princess Mononoke - Excellent anime adventure tale with rich characterizations and thought-provoking excitement.
8. Titanic (not yet reviewed) - A compelling love story and outstanding final hour. Another winner for Cameron.
9. Boogie Nights - Paul Thomas Anderson's breakthrough movie is fresh and funny, with impressive direction and acting.
10. Good Will Hunting - A well-constructed drama and the movie that made stars out of Matt Damon and Ben Affleck.
Honorable Mention - Air Force One, The Apostle, The Big One, The Boxer, Chasing Amy, Clockwatchers, Cop Land, Deconstructing Harry, Face/Off, The Full Monty, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Mr. Jealousy, My Best Friend's Wedding, Night Falls on Manhattan, Perfect Blue, The Rainmaker, Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion, Starship Troopers, The Sweet Hereafter, Trekkies
Noteworthy films I haven't seen yet - Afterglow, Amistad, The Butcher Boy, Character, The Children of Heaven, The Crazy Stranger, Cube, Donnie Brasco, The Eel, Fast Cheap and Out of Control, Fireworks, Funny Games, Hands on a Hardbody, The Ice Storm, In the Company of Men, Kundun, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Live Flesh, Lost Highway, Love and Death on Long Island, Martin, Ma Vie en Rose (My Life in Pink), Men with Guns, Mrs. Brown, Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion, Oscar and Lucinda, A Taste of Cherry, Too Much Sleep, Waco: The Rules of Engagement, Washington Square, The Wings of the Dove, The Winter Guest, Winter Sleepers
Films I think are overrated: Affliction, Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, The Castle, The Devil's Advocate, The Fifth Element, The Game, Grosse Point Blank, Jackie Brown, Wag the Dog