Please note these are my ranking only of films I've seen. Any films you think should be on this list may be due to the fact I've yet to watch them. I welcome any recommendations of films which should be included.
1. Unforgiven - The return of the great Westerns. Eastwood's touch puts him among the greats to cover the genre.
2. A League of Their Own - An emotionally uplifting look into an oft-forgotten phase in baseball (and America's) history
3. The Player - Altman's quasi-thriller is intelligent and riveting, and a great film about Hollywood.
4. Howards End (not yet reviewed) - Merchant-Ivory at their finest once again. As refreshing as a vacation in the country.
5. Aladdin (not yet reviewed) - Great songs and animation, as you'd expect from Disney.
6. Sneakers - An overlooked comic thriller. A great cast, solid direction, a terrific score -- and it's funny! Not to mention smart.
7. Glengarry Glen Ross - Powerhouse performances makes this one of the best dramas of the year.
8. Bob Roberts (not yet reviewed) - Delicious satire and some very funny bits makes Tim Robbins' small film terrific.
9. El Mariachi - Robert Rodriguez's smash for $7000. The story behind the making of the film might be even more compelling.
10. A River Runs Through It - Proving that imagery and emotion can make a simple story terrific.
Honorable Mention - 1492: Conquest of Paradise, Basic Instinct, The Distinguished Gentleman, Of Mice and Men, Prelude to a Kiss, Red Rock West, Royal Tramp, Thunderheart, White Men Can't Jump
Noteworthy films I haven't seen yet - Army of Darkness, Baraka, Belle Epoque, Chaplin, Un Coeur en Hiver, Crimson Pig, The Crying Game, Damage, Dead Alive, Husbands and Wives, The Last Bolshevik, The Last of the Mohicans, Like Water for Chocolate, Malcolm X, Man Bites Dog, Manufacturing Consent, A Midnight Clear, Olivier Olivier, Pushing Hands, Romper Stomper, Scent of a Woman, The Stolen Children, Strictly Ballroom, Visions of Light
Films I think are overrated: Bad Lieutenant, Bram Stoker's Dracula, A Few Good Men, Hard-Boiled, My Cousin Vinny, Reservoir Dogs, Under Siege